Saturday, September 5, 2009

High Holidays


Let me start by saying that Jake Brennan and my brother Scott are heterosexual men. But they are also gay for each other. Or maybe one is gay for the other and that's where it ends. The whole High Holiday concept was to be a series of performances based around holidays (obviously) with the first one to be on Valentines Day (which is where I met Christoph Krey from McAlister Drive) then Easter, etc. Well, it turned out to be just one show. But boy was it a swell show. So anyway, Jake and I got to talking about what he wanted to do. I told him the whole thing sounded really pretentious and, also, really gay!! But I'm a Janovitz and an attention whore so I was surely not going to pass up another opportunity to be a part of something really lame. The Valentines Day show was all about the crooners. Did I mention that the set list would be all covers? I thought it would make sense to call Paul Q. Kolderie and get into Camp Street Studios and get Jake and Scott in suits in front of an old tube microphone. The suits might have been Jakes idea, but all the cool stuff was totally mine and I just thought that needed to be clarified. So Paul Q was amenable to the whole thing and that's what we did in early February on a snowy evening. One of the more entertaining things that happened right off the bat, for me anyway, was that Paul Q's dog took a big chunk out of Scott's calf and he was bleeding pretty heavily when I got there. He was scared and kept asking me to call our mom. You can imagine how much this amused me. I mean, how often do you get to see a grown man, and your brother no less, crying like a little girl? But, at my behest, he managed to get to his feet long enough to have his picture taken. But Scott is a Janovitz through and through and, as he once put it in regard to being the center of attention "...I relish it..." So, in suits that were too small for them and a rabid, feral dog running amok, we snap a few frames and the result was rather satisfying. And blood was shed!!!

No comments: