Saturday, September 5, 2009

Alone pt. 2


It's been challenging for me to not tell who or what is in the shots here as part of the "Alone" series. But that seems to me to perhaps be part of the point. To leave it as it is and not tell too much about who it is or where it was taken. This shot continues to strike me in a variety of different ways each time I view it. As of this writing, I see a caged animal. Much like an animal in distress as it is being captured in it's natural habitat. Often times in the pictures you see of animals being trapped they seem to be trying to ward off the tools that are doing them wrong. A lot of the time their own young are there or the other members of their pack. In this shot I can picture ropes being thrown around him and this is the moment where he realizes that it is hopeless. He seems to be crying out to his maker "Why have you forsaken me?" In a way, that is, to me, exactly the moment I saw. We express ourselves as humans in so many ways. But certainly in times of distress, we cry.

3 comments:

randy said...

Interesting to me that you see this section of the photograph you took (the complete shot of which we cannot see) as representing something negative, i.e., a caged animal, or someone crying out to who knows whom. What about other angles? Perhaps he is in the throes of ecstasy, experiencing an orgasm beyond belief. Maybe he is screaming because he just won the lottery.

Paul Janovitz said...

Exactly...that's the idea. When writing these, and when I write songs to some extent, I am in the moment. I am right there with how it is striking me then. And when I go back, I see something different. Nice exchange of ideas. Looking forward to your visit. Then, at THAT moment, I will hand you the CWF discs.

randy said...

I am equally looking forward to my visit to Boston. I'm at the Materials Research Society Symposium for a small part of my time there (just three meetings, I do NOT attend the symposium itself), otherwise I plan to hang out and hopefully meet whomever might be around, maybe see some live music, whatever. This includes you and anyone else from the extended Jano-gang, etc., who might want to meet the weird Canadian. Will be much fun and good times. Thanks Paul, receiving the CWF discs in person will make it more special that way!