Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Another Janovitz Chose the Wrong Profession!!


And Scott wasn't the last of us boys to get involved in such foolishness. Truth be told, I love that we are all songwriters. It definitely was motivation for me having Bill as my older brother. Everywhere I went on tour I heard essentially the same exact questions in interviews. But it never bothered me except to say that I found it terribly disappointing that that was the only thing "writers" had on their list.

The thing that impresses me the most about Scott, and perhaps even more so Tom (aka Sodafrog~post to follow), is that he has been able to grow as a songwriter, so much so that his music is a lot different than either Billy or me. Admittedly, my songs in the Cold Water Flat days were closer in genre to Buffalo Tom than either that of Scott and The Russians or Tom~Sodafrog. Being any of us as human beings has its ups and downs, but being a Janovitz in this town as a musician...well let's just say that the names proceeding yours is always that of the rest of the boys. I've seen it a million times. There are writers who are so predictable, that you could call them "Old Faithful." Some are such fans of one that they seem to resent the rest. It's a weird thing.

But each time I go see or listen to any one of them, I become so proud. For whatever reason, my siblings are all very talented individuals...and I use that word in its literal sense. And, if that weren't enough, they are also very giving folks. And the latter far outweighs the former.

And these pictures tell that story of a giving person...to me, at least. What I mean by that, and I addressed it in the post about my brother Bill, is that, if you are the real deal, you will be giving a great deal of yourself on a nightly basis. And that is so exhausting in my experience. Frankly, at the time, it was not something I could sustain as a touring musician. If folks who make a living exposing their soul each time they perform don't take a lot of time off and pursue some sort of other outlet in a different direction, they will die young. And there is plenty of evidence to support my argument.

I realize one could easily say that this post is ridiculous. That I feel the way I do because of my relationship to Scott. And I realize that pictures are just that. They are still shots and don't tell the whole story. But they capture moments. And that's how I try to live. Moment by moment. And when I look at Scott here, I see two things right away. I see a great performer and someone who isn't just singing about liking big buts (though I think Scott has always been a fan of the big butt...you should have seen the girl who asked him to the Sadie Hawkins dance). There is way more substance.

I have no doubt that I find these types of connections with my brothers because they are just that. But it's these same connections that were and are made for me with the music I choose to listen to like a lot of us. It's just a lot easier when you don't think your siblings suck. And I don't think Scott sucks. On the contrary, it is quite good in my humble opinion. And the Russians need your help so that their record sees the light of day. And the deadline is soon. Support local music. It's right under your nose.

(someday I will learn how to use html and post the link right here to get to the Kickstarter website to donate some money towards the Russians LP. In the meantime it is right over there on the right) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No comments: